Sunday, December 22, 2013

Not everything is always as it seems

One time more than a few years back I ran a call on this kid who fell off a skateboard, or something stupid like that. It wasn't bad. I wouldn't have even c-spined him if the firefighters hadn't already beat me to him. My partner was a relatively inexperienced EMT, and I asked her to do the physical exam. Suddenly, mid-exam, she got a panicked look on her face and exclaimed, "Drew, he's got priapism!"

It was not priapism. It was ::ahem:: the other condition which may present itself when the 14 year old male patient is roughly physically examined by the female EMT. A good reminder that things are not always as they seem. 

Happy holidays

1 comment:

  1. oh. my. :)
    This is an awesome story. Now I have the urge to use the word parapism. Hopefully the opportunity will present itself.

    ReplyDelete