Monday, October 6, 2014

EpiPen Recoil Spring

EpiPens are ridiculously expensive and expire constantly. It is not widely known that, although they administer one dose only, there is enough medication contained within for 4-6 doses (supposedly a certain volume of fluid is required to carry a sufficient quantity of binders and preservatives). In a pinch, one can be cut open and the remaining medication accessed. The first time I had a chance to try this on an expired EpiPen, I had just started a new job and nearly shot my new supervisor's head off with the high tension spring that I didn't know was in there.

The EpiPen spring looked very familiar to another type of spring I frequently encounter:



So I did what any other self-respecting Idahoan would do. I stuck it in my 1911 and shot it. The EpiPen spring is a lot shorter than a standard 1911 recoil spring, but it's width is the same size and the spring is quite strong.

 
The EpiPen autoinjector spring shot perfectly fine out of the Sig 1911, with no failures. I would also like to take this opportunity to confess that I have committed the sacrilege of cleaning my 1911 with only WD-40, and lubing it with only synthetic 10W-30 motor oil with no issues in three years and thousands of rounds, a good portion of which were steel cased. This is an amazing pistol.

No comments:

Post a Comment