Monday, March 30, 2015

Bad EKG Tattoos


I feel so bad for people who get bad EKG tattoos. So many paramedic students who are excited about their new chosen career path decide to express their enthusiasm by getting an EMS tattoo. The mistake they make is getting the tattoo before they go through the EKG module. A guy I worked with made that mistake while in medic school. It was a big giant anatomical heart with a bunch of  thick, black squiggly lines wrapping around his wrist in a nonsense rhythm. Then he took ACLS...


I thought this one was really interesting. It actually seems to show a STEMI on monitor paper with lots of crazy ectopy. I suppose that's cool if that's what you're going for.


There's no way this fire fighter is removing this tattoo with anything short of a machete.


This one must be on a student. So sad. A-fib with frequent multifocal PVCs? QRS looks wide too.


 No it doesn't.


You don't often see people with seismograph tattoos. This one documents the 1981 St. Helens eruption.


If you are thinking about getting an EKG tattoo, you first either need to start or stop doing drugs. Then email your design to me at drew[dot]rinella[at]gmail.com so I can help you avoid looking like the your tattoo artist was having an epileptic fit.



Learn more about proper heart rhythms with the best book ever written on the subject

   

14 comments:

  1. The STEMI on on graph paper is cool! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my old tattoo before I had a cover up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO! The author is funny, but right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great tattoo idea :) Email me if you need help verifying the heart rhythm for accuracy and absence of any irregularities.

      Delete
    2. I guess I'm confused here...my husband recently had an ekg done. I got a copy of it so I can get it tattooed...now I'm afraid. I also don't know which part of it to choose, or if it matters?

      Delete
    3. I'm not sure how I missed this comment. Sorry! Check out this post at http://stupidheartrhythms.blogspot.com/2016/05/how-to-obtain-rhythm-strip-for-your-ekg.html

      Delete
    4. Also email healthcaretattoos@gmail.com for advice on which part of the EKG will look best for a tattoo.

      Delete
  6. I think ekg tattoos look stupid i dont see the point in them. They're just plain ugly. If u really want one u can use a washable marker and draw one on first and think about it. You can honor somebody in a much better way then squigly line,but thats just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete